Followers

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

PORK NECK CHOPS IN SWEET & SOUR SAUCE


This is an appetizing braised pork dish suitable to serve with rice, fried rice, blanched noodles and even mashed potatoes.   It is really tasty and aromatic with the addition of dried mandarin peel [good quality ones].  The good quality dried mandarin peel is rather costly whereas the poor quality ones can be obtained free from Chinese medical shops.  This is something that I learned from the medical shop owner when I went to get this item to cook this dish. 
Anyway, it is worthy to try this dish as the result is good.  The braised onions and seasoning contribute to the sweetness of this dish.
I had prepared this dish when my mom was hospitalised for appendicitis op.  It's no joke, at 85 still have to undergo this kind of operation.  Glad that she recovered well but still needs time to regain her stamina and energy.  As I have to be with her during the day time, this dish was cooked the night before and after resting it becomes even more flavoursome and tasty.  These account for the reason why the photos don't look good.  All done in a hurry.
Recipe adapted from  my selected cookbook for the month ‘Yum Yum Magazine No. 93’ for Cookbook Countdown Event#
Ingredients
500 gm pork neck meat – cut into 1.5 cm thick
Marinade
1 tbsp light soya sauce and ½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion – sliced
2 pieces dried mandarin peel – soaked and cut into pieces
1 red carrot – cut into chunks
Seasoning [combined]
1-2 tbsp plum sauce
1 -2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
  1. Tenderise the meat slices with the back of a cleaver then marinate with marinade for at least an hour.
  2. Heat up a non stick wok with oil, pan fry the meat slices on both sides until golden brown and aromatic. Add in carrots, onions,  dried mandarin peel and seasoning.  Stir fry to mix ingredients well before adding water.
  3. Bring to boil, then lower heat, cover to cook until meat is tender [about 40 minutes] and sauce has thickened.
  4. Dish up to serve with plain white rice or fried rice.
    Cookbook Countdown

    I'm sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event#13 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Emily of Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this must be a very flavorful and aromatic dish. My grandma used to put mandarin peel in red bean soup and I did not like it. I wonder if I will like it in this pork chop dish.

Kayte said...

I have never cooked with pork neck meat before and I am not sure it is easy to find here. What would you recommend as a substitute choice if I can't get that? I love your photos and your recipe choices all seem so doable to me. I really think this might be the year I venture forth and cook some of these ingredients and flavors. You are so inspiring with it all.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the dried mandarin peel isn't very intense. Not noticeable in this dish.

Kimmy said...

Hi Kayte, I suppose you can substitute with meaty spare ribs but may require longer braising time. Pork neck meat is actually pork shoulder meat. Shouldn't be difficult to find. Hope the recipes I have shared are simple and easy for you to try. The outcome may be awesome and worthy.

TeaLady said...

There is nothing better than a good braised meat. Pork is the best, beef second. I love all the flavors in this dish. I will put this on my list of things to try. YUM!

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, fully agree that braised meat is good. Usually very flavourful when well braised even with the simplest seasoning.

kitchen flavours said...

Glad to hear that your mom is recovering well.
This dish looks very delicious indeed. I love braised pork dishes, very delicious with white rice. This one dish alone, perhaps with a stir-fry green veggie is enough with rice for dinner! Yummy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, thanks to my sister in-law who is providing my mum with the post op care. I'm very grateful to her for all she has done for my late Papa and now my mom. Agree with you that with another vege it is enough for a complete meal. Exactly what I did when I came home late from the hospital. At least my family didn't have to eat out.