Followers

Monday, April 4, 2016

PANDAN HUAT KUIH [STEAMED SMILING CAKE]

No idea why the sudden urge to cook and bake food with pandan [screwpine leaves] flavour.  Perhaps, it is because I have in hand a cookbook 'In Love With Pandan'.  All recipes in the book uses pandan for flavour. This recipe is one of the first which I tried.
These smiling kuihs are lovely, very fragrant cos' of the pandan juice and the sweetness is just nice.  The texture is good, soft and moist even on the next day.   This recipe is a keeper.
BTW, no artificial colouring is used in this kuih yet the colour is bright green and remains the same even on the next day. Quite similar to my earlier recipe here but slightly different, a healthier version with less sugar and using corn oil.  The end result of the kuih is as good.
Recipe adapted from my selected Cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event#4 - Ricky Ng's book 'In Love with Pandan' [modified]
Ingredients
[makes 12 cupcakes]
250 gm self raising flour -sifted with baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder 
130 gm castor sugar
200 - 220 ml pandan juice [I used 200 ml]
8 pandan leaves - washed and knotted
1 egg - lightly beaten
45 ml corn oil
*Pandan Juice [blend 8 blades of pandan leaves with 200 ml water]
  1. Prepare pandan juice and strain to obtain 200-220 ml. Add in sugar and whisk until sugar dissolved.
  2. Lightly beat the egg and add in to sugar mixture, continue to whisk until well mixed.  Drizzle in corn oil.  Mix well.
  3. Sieve flour and baking powder into sugar mixture.  fold well to combine.  Batter is of thick consistency but manageable. 
  4. Scoop batter into a baking tray lined with paper cases until 95% full or to the rim in one go.
  5. Steam over high heat for 20 minutes or until skewer  when inserted comes out clean.  Remove to cool or serve immediately.
How The Huat Kuihs look with different moulds



I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by 

13 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love pandan flavour, so I will sure love these pandn huat kuih. It is best to use natural pandan like you do. I am just too lazy to make my own pandan juice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the thought that the Huat Kuih may not 'smile' puts me off making steamed cakes. I have failed many times following some recipes, so whenever I come across one that can 'smile' I smile too.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
These smiling steamed huat kuih made me smile too. Love that these are nice pandan fragrance.

Anonymous said...

Can you share the recipe of the apam balik on the book's cover? Thank you in advance.

Grace

Anne said...

Kimmy, we need 250g self rinsing flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder? Can you please confirm, I want to make it this weekend.
Thank you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anne, yes that's the right quantity and there are other recipes that add 1 tsp. Do look up my other recipes on steamed cakes under the label 'Huat Kuihs' for a better understanding of the preparations and methods.

Kimmy said...

Hi Grace, I would not be making the Apom Balik for the time being. If you like to have the recipe, I can e-mail it to you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, this time I was lucky that the huat kuihs 'smiled'. I tried a huat kuih recipe using rice flour and Eno salt last Sunday. It was disappointing eventhough I followed the recipe to the T.

Kimmy said...

Hi Grace, I have sent you the recipe via email. Do check it out.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love the fragrance of pandan. I can imagine the aroma of your huat kuih!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, yes the pandan fragrance is very strong, no doubt but the bright green colour will fade a little after a day or two.

Unknown said...

Hi Kimmy could u pls email me the recipe too? Thank u

Siewjin8@yahoo.com

Kimmy said...

Hi Siewjin, already emailed to you.