Followers

Thursday, December 3, 2015

NYONYA STYLE FRIED RICE

Whilst browsing through my collection of recipes, I came across several fried rice recipes. Apart from this Nyonya Style Fried Rice, there are others like Fried Rice Ala Yang Chow, Fried Rice Ala Kampong, Fried Rice With Salted Eggs, Indian Fried Rice and Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. I think I will try them all and share the recipes with all of you.
I find this fried rice good, it is tasty, spicy and extra fragrant from the sesame oil. This is a quick to cook One Dish Meal for the family especially the young if they can take spicy food. BTW, it isn’t that spicy if you reduce the chilli paste used.
Ingredients
[serves 2]
3 cups cooked cooled rice [from about 1 cup uncooked rice]
2 eggs – mix with dash of salt and pepper
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp sesame oil
75 gm chicken fillet – diced
75 gm prawns – diced
2 dried mushrooms – soaked and diced
1 -1 ½ tbsp chilli paste
1 tbsp toasted shrimp paste [belacan]
Seasoning [combined]
1 tbsp each of light soy sauce and oyster sauce
1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper, sugar and dark soy sauce
Garnishing – some chopped spring onions and red chilli
  1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick wok, pour in eggs and scramble until almost cooked. Dish up.
  2. Reheat wok with 2 tbsp oil, sauté chilli paste and shrimp paste until aromatic. Add in chicken, prawns and mushrooms, fry for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add in rice and seasoning, cook over medium low heat and toss well to combine. Add in scrambled eggs and fry until rice is light.
  4. Dish up to serve, garnish with spring onions and chilli.

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I would happily have a serving (or two!) of your Nyonya fried rice anytime! I love fried rice especially spicy ones like this.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, actually I wanted to fry 4 cups of cooked rice but thought I have to control carbo intake this festive season cos' there are too many invites for sumptuous meals. Afraid my waistline expanding sideways, hehehe! This is a delicious and I don't mind extra serving. BTW, there are more fried rice that I'll be cooking this month.