Followers

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Dry Wantan Noodles With Char Siew

This is a simple and tasty dry wantan noodle recipe that is easy to prepare for your family. You can make your own char siew [see recipe] or use store bought and also make some boiled or fried wantan to serve with this noodles.
The sauce portion here is for 3 servings, just do some calculation if you are preparing a varied number of portions. The condiment portions are variable according to own preference.
Ingredients for Dry Wantan Sauce
[bring to boil in a saucepan, set aside]
[serves 3]
3 tbsp abalone sauce or oyster sauce
3 tsp light soy sauce
½ tsp each of sugar and salt
Several dashes of pepper
6 tbsp of prepared chicken soup or water
Chicken Stock/Broth [optional] – bring to boil until fragrant and strained
¼ chicken breast
750 ml water
1-2 slices of ginger
50 gm carrot
1 stalk spring onion
Other Ingredients
3 servings of store bought fresh wantan noodles 
1-2 stalks of mustard leaves [cai xin] 
Some chopped spring onions
Some char siew – sliced
Some boiled or fried wantan [see recipe]
Some pickled green chillies or sambal belacan
  1. Bring sauce ingredients to boil for several minutes. Set aside.
  2. Bring chicken stock to boil. Set aside. Shred the boiled chicken breast to serve with noodles if you are not using char siew.
  3. Scoop 1-2 tbsp of sauce into serving plate.
  4. Bring a wok of water to boil, blanched vegetables. Dish up and set aside.
  5. Using the same water, blanch wantan noodles for 1/2 minute. Stir with a pair of chopstick. Remove from boiling water and soak briefly in cold water. Transfer noodles back to boiling water to cook for another 1/2 minute or until soft but chewy.
  6. Dish up, drain excess water and transfer noodles to serving plate. Toss well with sauce ingredients and top noodles with blanched vegetables, char siew and fried/boiled wantan.
  7. Serve with pickled green chillies or sambal belacan.

10 comments:

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

I love dry wanton noodles, thanks for sharing your sauce recipe!

Veronica said...

Hi Kimmy,your gon lo wonton noodles looks so yummy. Reminds me of my recent trip back to Malaysia where I was always on the lookout for a good plate of dry wonton noodles.

PH said...

Kimmy, this is Chinese style pasta hee..hee.. I am a big fan of dry wanton noodles with char siew. I used to tapau from a coffee shop nearby and always order the big packet hee..hee..

Kimmy said...

Hi Jasline, yes a a good sauce base for dry wantan noodles is the most important ingredient. Add some crispy fried pork fat and some lard, makes the noodles even much better but too much is not healthy. SabX2 Noodles in BKK is popular because of these 2 ingredients.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, honestly it is yummy. I didn't know, my home cooked kon lo mee is better than the stall I used to patronise. My niece said, it is good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I tapau dry wantan mee in the morning for weekend lunch when I'm lazy to cook for myself. I'll steam it for awhile before eating and the portion becomes bigger. I don't know why but the noodle is tasty. Of course, not so much 'liao'.

Ana Regalado said...

Kimmy , I love this kind of dish though I haven't had this noodle yet :D The fried wantan and char siu certainly adds another layer of flavor and texture to this delightful dish !

Kimmy said...

Hi Anne, definitely, the wantan and char siew is valued added to a simple dry wantan noodles cos' both are tasty, yummy condiments for wantan noodles. Don't forget that spring onions is a must for more aromatic kon lo noodles.

mui mui said...

This is a forever favorite kind of hearty noodles.
With the wanton lagi best..hehe

Thank you so much dear Kimmy for sharing so many of your wonderful noodles/pasta.
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, I love eating noodles, either dry or soupy. I think there are lots of them in my humble blog. Just that I can't share them again cos' I don't want to repeat posting the same recipes eventhough I do repeat cooking them, hehehe! Thanks for hosting the LTU events which is a rich resource for all of us who are 'hungry' for home-cooked food recipes.