Followers

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Alex Goh's Celery Bread

 
I was attracted to Joyce's [Kitchen Flavours] post on this bread.   Since I have in hand some leftover celery and ham, seem to be a good way to clear them off before I clean my fridge.  Getting ready for a 9 day vegetarian diet which begins from 24 September.
Verdict - fragrant bread loaves that does not need any spread and go well with a cup of hot beverage.

Recipe Source - Alex Goh's Recipe from 'Magic Bread' adapted from [Kitchen Flavours] - slight modification to method.
Ingredients
[makes 2 loaf tins]
For the gelatinized dough
100 gm bread flour
70 gm boiling water

  • To prepare the gelatinized dough, pour boiling water onto the flour, mix into a dough.  Cover and set aside to cool, then refrigerate for 12 hours [I only leave the dough for about 1 hour].

Ingredients for bread dough
325 gm bread flour
75 gm plain flour
15 gm milk powder [I used 1 tbsp]
50 gm sugar
8 gm salt [I used 1 tsp]
8 gm instant yeast [I used 2 1/2 tsp]
130 gm celery + 60 ml water - blend till fine
90 gm cold water [may need less, add gradually]
30 gm cold egg [1 small egg]
40 gm butter
50 gm diced celery
50 gm diced ham
 
 


  1. Blend the celery with 60 ml water until pureed [a thin puree]. 
  2. In a mixing bowl, mix together bread flour, plain flour,  milk powder, sugar, salt and instant yeast.  Add in celery puree and egg, knead and gradually add in water [may need less water] until well blended. 
  3. Knead to form rough dough and add in butter.  Knead to form elastic dough. Lastly, add in the diced celery and diced ham.   Knead gently until the ingredients are evenly incorporated into the dough. 
  4. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, turn dough so that the oiled side is facing up. Cover and let it proof for 40 minutes or until doubled in size. 
  5. Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal portions and  shape each piece into a ball.
  6. Working with one piece of round dough at a time, flatten and spread out the dough with your hands, roughly to the length of the baking pan, roll it up tightly like a swiss roll. Press the seams to seal, neaten the two sides by tucking a little of the two sides under the dough and press the seams to seal. 
  7. Place dough in greased baking pan, cover loosely with greased cling wrap and leave to proof for 50 minutes or until dough is nearly doubled in size. 
  8. Bake in preheated the oven at 190 degrees C for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  9. Remove loaves from pan and cool completely on cooling rack.

12 comments:

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, this celery bread is healthy and looks wonderful. I am into baking breads and will definitely bookmark this healthy bread. Thanks for sharing and warmest regards :)

PH said...

Kimmy, this bread must be very fragrant and tasty!

Fion said...

Celery in bread?I love celery,but not my family,so I just can enjoy this bread here :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, again is ham and celery. Blends well even in bread. I think fried bacon bits would be good too. Do give it a try.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I just ate it with a cup of hot coffee. hmmmm....healthy and good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Fion, the celery is not really noticeable when you bite at it. Maybe if adding some fragrant fried bacon, your family won't notice the celery.

Madeline said...

Kimmy this bread looks interesting. Didn't know that we can use celery in bread. My hubby n I love celery going to give it a try when I get the ham tmr. Thks for sharing :) do u think I can add some wholemeal flour to it?

Victoria Bakes said...

ooh, nice.... sounds like an excellent picnic bread

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, actually I did substitute 50 gm bread flour with wholemeal flour. It's just that I didn't want to change the original recipe here.

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, great idea cos' you can just munch on it without anything else.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I'm glad that you've tried out this bread from Alex Goh. It is really good, and I like it a lot!
Thanks for the link-back!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, thanks for sharing it. It's good bread. One more choice of bread for us daily bread eaters, hehehe!