Followers

Monday, September 1, 2014

Stir Fry Leeks with Sea Cucumber

 A traditional vegetable dish almost forgotten by many because sea cucumbers are getting expensive.  I remembered my late father in-law was so happy to see this dish when I cooked it during CNY.  I cooked this dish recently when I managed to get some small sea cucumbers [oops, forgot to take a picture before cutting it].
You can add firm beancurd, prawns, meat or chicken to this dish.  Here, I added firm beancurd [5 spice flavour].  Yummy, yummy homey vegetable, good with rice or porridge.
Recipe Source - Kimmy - Cooking Pleasure
Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
3 stalks leek - cleaned and cut slantwise
1 small carrot - peeled and cut thin slices
some red chilli shreds
2 pieces firm beancurd [taukwa] - cut into 1 cm thick slice  and halved
2-3 pieces small sea cucumbers - cut strips
some chopped garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
some cooking wine and sesame oil
100 - 150 ml water
some cornstarch water for thickening
 
 
  1. Heat oil in wok, pan fry firm bean curd pieces until golden.  Dish up, set aside.
  2. Leave about 1 tablespoon oil, saute garlic until aromatic.  Add in the sea cucumber, stir fry to mix well.
  3. Add in the carrots and white part of the leeks.  Add in wine, stir to mix, add in water and seasoning to taste.
  4. Once water boils, add in the fried bean curd and green part of the leeks.  Stir fry to combine and vegetables are cooked.
  5. Thicken gravy with cornstarch mixture.  Drizzle some sesame seed oil.
  6. Dish up to serve.

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this is a very delicious vegetable dish! I can just eat this with rice. I love sea cucumber but I don't know how to prepare it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you can get those plump up ones in the wet markets.

ann low said...

Simple and delicious. Will definitely cook this for my family if I can get some sea cucumbers at the wet market.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, a very tasty dish which I'll never say 'No'.