Followers

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Golden Cheese Chiffon Cake [Cooked Dough/Tang Mian Method]

I had baked this chiffon Golden Cheese Chiffon Cake [Cooked Dough/Tang Mian] 烫面黄金芝士戚风蛋糕 twice after seeing Jess [Bakericious] and Jeannie's [Baking Diary] post which looks so soft, spongy and golden in colour. The first tasted good but I'm not too happy with the texture. I thought it's a failed attempt. It's later when my SIL told me the cake is good, I decided to bake it again for the purpose of taking some photos of this cake to share with readers here.
Verdict - cheesy aroma, savoury sweet and the cake is soft and spongy. Nice golden colour too.
Recipe Source - [Bakericious] and [Baking Diary]
Ingredients
[use ungreased 19 cm or 7 inch tube pan]
60 ml milk
60 ml corn oil
50 gm cake flour 
12 gm corn flour [I used 1 tbsp]
20 gm cheese powder
4 egg yolks [I used size A eggs] 
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 1 tsp lemon juice
60 gm caster sugar


  1. Sieve cake flour, cornflour and cheese powder together in a bowl.
  2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites into two separate bowls.
  3. Pour oil and milk into a saucepan.  Heat up over low fire until you see small bubbles at the sides [very quick].  Remove from heat.
  4. Immediately add in sifted flours.  Quickly stir to mix well and form into a soft dough.
  5. Slowly add in the egg yolks in batches and whisk well after each addition until it becomes a smooth batter.  Set aside.
  6. Whisk egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar or lemon juice.  Gradually add in the sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until approaching stiff peaks [means meringue stand up straight with a little curve at the tip] or stiff peaks [this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture].
  7. Combine 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture.  Use a hand whisk to mix well until the batter is creamy.
  8. Fold in 1/2 meringue and use a spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter until well combined.  Fold in the balance and gently fold till well combined.
  9. Pour batter into tube pan from a considerably height, lightly shake it from left to right to level the batter, then gently tap pan on table top to release air bubbles.
  10. Bake in preheated oven at 150 degrees C on lowest rack for 40-45 minutes.

Photobucket


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe

10 comments:

Bakericious said...

Kimmy, thanks for the shout up! the cake looks good although is not orange color :D

PH said...

Kimmy, this chiffon cake's texture is so spongy and I can see that it is soft and light. Very nice to eat!

Unknown said...

Must be very fragrant with cheese :) Is parmesan cheese is the cheese powder you used?

Kimmy said...

Hi Jess, it is tasty. savoury sweet.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it's soft, light and spongy. Does shrink a little.

Kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, I used cheese powder that I bought from the baking items store.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

I love chiffons and the images of this cake are running through my head!!! YUM!

Unknown said...

Hi! I want to try this recipe and method ASAP after seeing all the posts about the tang mian method. I always used to bake chiffon cakes the normal way, but have found that they sometimes become dry. What I wanted to ask is how will I adjust the ingredient proportions if I wanted to make a plain or vanilla chiffon rather than a cheese one?

Unknown said...

Hi! Was wondering how to adjust the ingredients to make a plain/vanilla chiffon instead of a cheese one? This looks like the ideal texture, I've always made chiffon cakes the traditional way and have found that they sometimes turn out dry.

Kimmy said...

Hi Camille, I supposed you can just omit the cheese powder and add some vanilla essence.