Followers

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Steamed Orange Cupcakes

I always admire cupcakes be it steamed or baked which rises, crack or smile beautifully.  As I was afraid that mine may not 'smile' or they may be hard and tough, I never dare to try.   Recently after my satisfactory attempt in making 'Nyonya Huat Kuih', I started looking back at the list of cupcakes which I have bookmarked to try.
One of the many is this steamed orange cupcake recipe from Anncoo Journal.  Since I had the home-made Candied Orange Peel, I made these and I'm very happy, these cupcakes 'smiled' so beautifully.   It's so easy to make them, too.   It's a keeper.
According to Ann, these cupcakes can be reheated the next day before serving.
Visit this site for Its' Nutritional Facts [here]
Recipe Source - Anncoo Journal - slightly modified
Ingredients
[makes 8 pieces]
50 gm butter - melted and leave to cool
210 ml fresh orange juice + 40 ml water [I used milk]
100 gm castor sugar [I used 80 gm]
a drop of orange colouring - optional
250 gm self raising flour - sifted
1 tbsp orange zest
1 egg - lightly beaten
60 gm candied orange peel - dice to small pieces
  1. Pour orange juice, water or milk, sugar and colouring in a small saucepan.  Stir over low heat just until sugar dissolved, leave to cool.  DO NOT BOIL JUICE, OTHERWISE IT MAY BE BITTER.
  2. Sieve flour into a large mixing bowl.  Stir in orange zest.  Pour the orange juice directly into the flour, followed by egg and melted butter.  Stir with a hand whisk to mix.
  3. Lastly add in the candied orange peel. Mix lightly.
  4. Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners to 3/4 full and steam over high heat for 10-12 minutes.
  5. Remove to cool on wire rack or serve warm.




19 comments:

Nicole Chong said...

Hi Kimmy,

Love your steamed orange cupcakes. May I check with you, can I use cool egg or room temperature egg?

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I like your smiling orange cupcakes! It brightens my day :D

Zoe

Unknown said...

1tbsp oren zest is wat??

Unknown said...

1tbsp oren zest wat tht resipi got ohh

Kimmy said...

Hi Nicole, not particular since it's lightly beaten before adding to other ingredients.

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I'm happy too with that smile. I was smiling too when I saw the cakes smiling in the steaming tray and said 'YES!'

Kimmy said...

Hi Nicholas, is grated orange rind.

~董夫人~ said...

yeah yeah smiling face。。。

Kimmy said...

Hi 董夫人, really all are smiling beautifully.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kimmy, will try out this special steamed orange cupcakes.

Betty said...

Kimmy, gonna make these smiling steamed cupcakes which I really admire. Thks for the great recipe.

Unknown said...

Your steamed cakes 'crack' just the way you like. Looks fluffy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Nicole, do try and you may like the flavour and texture.

Kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, pretty 'smile' and sure 'huat'. It may be dense like some muffins.

Kimmy said...

Hi Betty, give it a try. I was told the liquid portion contributes to the cracks.

PH said...

Kimmy, your cupcakes all have a big smile on their face. Very "Huat"!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I was told not to add eggs if these are praying and not to be eaten. I feel it's a waste. BTW the candied orange peel is put to good use.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

steamed cake sound healthy than bake one!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, maybe so and this can be reheated to serve warm.