Followers

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Palm Sugar Char Siew [Version 2]

Told my mum about Char Siew with palm sugar which I have made. She wasn't very convinced that it tasted good. I shared the idea with my neigbhour who tried it [recipe from Table for 2 or more] and her family loves it. 
My mum has some pork belly in the fridge, she said she would try but will add some other char siew ingredients just in case the family members find it different.
So here is her version of marinating and I helped her to cook. Wow!, it is a hit with the children in the house. All finished up with no leftovers.... It was delicious and yum, yum.

Ingredients
600 gm pork belly  [4 inches in length and about 1/2 inch thick slices]
1 tsp 5 spice powder [good quality type]
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 pandan leave - knotted
80 gm palm sugar
1/2 tbsp of rose wine [mei hua lou]
enough water to cover meat
  1. Marinate meat slices with all ingredients [except palm sugar and rose wine] for at least 1/2 an hour or several hours.
  2. Put all ingredients [except palm sugar] in a wok.  Add in enough water to cover the meat [more if you like to have some gravy].  Bring it to a boil then lower heat  and cover wok to simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Turn over meat slices and boil for a further 10-15 minutes or until the meat is almost tender.
  3. Remove lid and add in palm sugar and continue to boil until gravy is reduced and thick like honey.
  4. Keep stirring to prevent meat getting burnt.
  5. Dish out to cool before cutting to serve  with sliced cucumber and white rice.

5 comments:

Sokehah cheah said...

Your char siew looks so delicious. I'll like this served with noodles....slurp!

Cheah said...

Your char siew looks so delish! I'll like it with noodles!

la_ultima_rosa said...

wou, thank you for the recipe, I find that their flavor should be wonderful, I will prepare it and later I tell you

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, it is really yummy. The meat is so flavourful and tender, otherwise the kids in the house won't finish it in one go. Should be nice with dried or wet noodles. Me too will try. I'll make another batch as fillings for my steamed baos.

Kimmy said...

Hi Rosa, I would be like to know if it's good for you, too. I think this is better and healthier version than the BBQ style [carbon]. My friend will be trying it with chicken.