Followers

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Salted Fish Mixed Vegetable Curry

My hubby made some salted fish from the fishes he caught.  Shared some with my neighbours and kept some to cook this curry.  Cockles can also be added to it, but this time I didn't cos' we only wanted to savour the mixed vegetables and the gravy.

We had this curry with Greek Olga Bread [recipe here].  A simple meal that can be prepared earlier.  Just warm up the bread in the oven and heat up the curry........and the meal is ready.

Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
100 gm long beans - cut 3 cm lengths
100 gm cabbage - break into small pieces
1 brinjal [about 200 gm] - cut into wedges
5 pieces of salted fish - rinsed and soaked for 5-10 minutes [depends on the saltiness of the salted fish]
100 gm prawns - head removed

Spice Ingredients [blend and combine]
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cm piece ginger
2 tbsp fish curry powder
1 tbsp chilli boh
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
2 tbsp ground almond

4 tbsp oil [more if you prefer more chilli oil for the curry]
1/2 tsp salt
sugar and msg to taste
enough water


  1. Blend onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor then combine with curry powder, chilli paste, tumeric powder and ground almond.
  2. Heat oil in wok, pan fry salted fish pieces until aromatic and browned.  Remove and set aside.  Using the same wok saute spice ingredients until aromatic.  Add in 1/2 tsp salt.  Fry until oil separates. 
  3. Pour in some water then add in the vegetables to cook.  Stir fry for several minutes until well mixed.  Add in salted fish. 
  4. Pour in enough water just to cover the vegetables.  Bring it to a rolling boil.   Cover wok to cook vegetables until soft.
  5. Add in prawns  and seasoning.  Bring it to boil to cook prawns.  Taste to adjust seasoning.  Off fire.
  6. Dish out curry into bowl.   Serve hot with rice or flat bread.
    Greek Olga Bread [soft and spongy flat bread]


6 comments:

Yummy Bakes said...

Thanks for dropping by at my blog earlier. This is a nice curry to go with white rice.

kimmy said...

I loved vegetable curries and this one with salted fish added more flavours. Sometimes I served it with blanched instant noodles, again it's a different mee curry.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

It's been ages that I've not eaten this dish that my mom used to cook back home in M'sia! This is my mom's favorite curry! Yours looks so mouth watering & now I might tempted to make myself if I can find all the ingredients over here! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Amazing, your husband even made salted fish! Ya, salted fish veggie curry is yummy. By the way, thanks for trying out the kiam chai. I would also suggest you to make salted eggs, they are equally good , I just made another batch today.

Kimmy said...

Sonia, I would be glad to share some salted fish with you if only it's possible. My friends are asking for some more after trying them. Today, I shared my 3 kg kiam chai to 6 friends. Hope they like it. Will check out your way of salting eggs. Thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi Kit, I do missed it too. There are so many different dishes in the line to cook, sometimes just couldn't find the time, hehehe.