Followers

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cornet Shaped Carrot Buns [Sponge Dough Method]


Came across this recipe sometime ago but could'nt bake these buns as I do not have the cornet moulds. On my last shopping trip, I noticed these cornet moulds among the other baking items up for sale for the Hari Raya festive season.  There were so many new  baking/cooking utensils/items on sale at the departmental stores but I have to discipline myself not to buy too many unnecessary items no matter how tempting they are.  Being a rather 'disciplined person', hehe, I bought only these moulds and they were cheap for a set of 6 pieces [RM 3.90/set] and hopefully they are going to useful....in my kitchen.

First I baked these buns then I filled them with some tuna mayo fillings just before serving.  I supposed they can be stuffed with many other types of fillings [either sweet or savoury].  May be my god daughter would love it with ice cream [she loves having bread with ice cream].  This recipe yields  16 buns.  The buns were soft, fluffy and moist and can easily be dislodged from the moulds.






Ingredients for the Buns
Step 1 - Sponge Dough
100 gm bread flour
100 gm plain flour
1.5 tsp instant yeast
130 ml water
  • Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour.  Knead to form a soft and smooth dough.
  • Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Bread Dough
200 gm bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
130 gm grated carrot
40 gm butter
  • Add all Step 2 ingredients  [except butter] to dough from Step 1.  Knead from low speed until well combined.  Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes].  Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage [Notes - if not baking buns immediately, the dough can be kept in plastic bag tied up and refrigerate.   Thaw to room temperature before using.   Advisable to keep up to 48 hours only].
  • Shape dough into a ball.  Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
  • Punch down and divide dough in 16 pieces.
  • Shape dough into round balls.  Flatten each ball, roll up and roll dough into a 12" rope.  Thin out at one end.
  • Coil the dough around a lightly greased cornet shape mould.  Place on a lightly greased baking tray.   Do the same for the rest of the dough.  Leave to rise for 40-50 minutes or until 2 times in size. 
  • Before baking, brush with beaten egg.
  • Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
  • Leave to cool on rack, remove mould and fill cornet buns with prepared filling before serving.



Potato and Tuna Mayo Bun Filling
Ingredients for filling
1 tin tuna
2 hard boiled eggs - chopped
1 potato - boiled/steamed till soft - diced
3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • Mix the first 3 ingredients together then add in mayonnaise.  Refrigerate if not using immediately.
I'm sharing this bread recipe with Bake Your Own Bread [BYOB] via girlichef


4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Oh wow, I LOVE these! And I can just imagine all of the different types of fillings I would put inside. You've hooked me with the thought of ice cream. =) Guess what I am going to be on the look-out for? Cornet molds! LOL. Thanks so much for sharing these beauties w/ BYOB.

Xff said...

I have never seen that kind of a bread mold and the final shape is beautiful. Now I have another kitchen item to add to my 'wish list'. Thank you so much for sharing this with BYOB.

Kimmy said...

Hi Heather, I warmed up the buns and filled them with ice cream, it's really yummy!!!

Kimmy said...

Hi Michelle, I still have to practise my skills in coiling the dough around the mold.