Followers

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

CNY 2017 - ORANGE COOKIES WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS

These are simple looking cookies, not that attractive but I love the orange aroma and fragrance together with the plain white chocolate chips.  The citrus aroma is not affected at all with white chocolate chips and you get to wonder what the white spots are.  You may think they are almond nibs or some nuts, too.
Since I am not a fan of sweet cookies, I have cut down on the sugar and I find this amount not too sweet.  The original recipe uses 150 grams caster sugar.
These cookies have the lovely aroma of orange, crispy, buttery and not too sweet .  Lovely cookies as a snack.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 95 with modifications
Ingredients
[makes 85 pieces]
120 gm butter – room temperature
100 gm caster sugar
1 egg
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp vanilla essence
200 gm plain flour – sifted
¼ - ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
200 gm white chocolate chips
  1. Lined a baking tray with parchment paper.  Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until creamy, add in the egg and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in the orange zest, vanilla essence, mix well and fold in the remaining ingredients.  Mix into a dough.
  4. Divide dough into small portions of about 15 gm and round up.
  5. Place onto prepared baking tray.  Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Remove and cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
Cookbook Countdown


I'm sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event#13 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Emily of Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

13 comments:

PH said...

Thumbs up, Kimmy! I like your cookies. I bought white chocolate chips but yet to use them. They are very sweet, so it was wise of you to reduce the sugar.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, most of my cookies are with reduced sugar as some are for giveaways to some friends who really don't eat sweet things. Though with reduced sugar, some may still be too sweet for some people...Hard to please everyone but luckily they do love my cookies, hahaha!

Emily said...

This looks delicious, and easy to pull together!

Kayte said...

I would definitely choose one of these first off a cookie tray...the idea of orange in a cookie has me almost drooling, seriously, they look lovely and delicious. Must try these so marking this one for later, thank you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, yes very easy yet the result is awesome. I prefer to bake cookies with easily available ingredients. This one is simple enough but really nice, aromatic.

Kimmy said...

Hi Kayte, do give this a try. For CNY, I baked them smaller but other times, I will bake them a little bigger.

Kayte said...

This post is labeled CNY...can I ask what CNY stands for? Is it a separate group? I am making these cookies this morning and was thinking about posting them and linking to your blog for the recipe, etc. Thanks! ;-)

Kayte said...

I made these and they are so addictively delicious! Thank you for the recipe...I linked to your blog post in my post. :-)

Kimmy said...

Hi Kayte, CNY stands for Chinese New Year, my abbreviation. Great that you tried and love it. Me too love the nice aroma of orange.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I cannot remember the last time I had orange cookies! These looks great, and not too sweet is my kinda cookies! Like you, I always cut down on sugar too for most bakes. Kayte has made these and she loves it too! Thanks for sharing!

TeaLady said...

Let's see - orange, white chocolate chip, not too sweet. PERFECT!! Definitely making these at a later date.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I supposed with reduced sugar in my cookies, many of our relatives look forward to enjoy them when they coming visiting my MIL and mum during CNY. Some send reminders that I have to prepare certain cookies for them to savour when they come.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, these are for giveaways but I will certainly bake these again in a bigger size next time as snack for my family.