Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

STEAMED FISH WITH MEI CAI


After 2 months enjoying easy to prepare Thai food, this month's food to try from the latest book which I collected.
I supposed this is a rather new recipe for steaming fish.  The steaming ingredients have to be pre-cooked, then spread over fish before steaming. 
This Braised Minced Meat Mei Cai is very tasty and can be used as a spread over Stir Fry Leafy Greens or serve as a dish with porridge.  This, I discovered when I attended a dinner at the restaurant.  They used this to serve with Stir Fry Kai Lan and it was acceptable.
Overall, this braised meat with mei cai is good and tasty for steaming fish.  You can use any white whole fish or fish fillet.  Here, I used stingray as I don't like to steam fish with lots of bones.  I don't enjoy bony fishes.
This portion of Braised Minced Meat Mei Cai is quite a big portion.  You can either prepare the whole portion, store it for other uses or cook a third of this portion for the purpose of steaming fish.  For me, it is alright with this portion as I love it with porridge.
Recipe adapted from my selected cookbook Yum Yum Magazine No. 102 [with slight modifications] for this month's Cookbook Countdown Event #11
Ingredients
300 gm stingray - cut into 2 thick slices
some shredded spring onions and red chilli - for garnishing
Braised Minced Meat Mei Cai
200 gm minced meat
300 gm sweet mei cai - rinsed, soaked and chopped
3 tbsp chopped garlic
3 small chilli - chopped
2-3 tbsp oil [if using lean meat]
Seasoning
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame seed oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
250 - 250 ml water
2 tsp cornstarch for thickening [I omit]
  1. Dry fry chopped mei cai in a non-stick wok until dry.  Dish up.
  2. Heat oil in non-stick wok, saute garlic until fragrant, add in minced meat and fry until meat turns white. 
  3. Add in the chilli and mei cai.  Stir fry to combine ingredients well.  Add in seasoning and water.
  4. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer/braise mei cai until tender and water almost dry.  Dish up.
  5. Place fish to steam on a steaming plate, spread some braised mei cai over fish.
  6. Steam fish over high heat for 12-15 minutes [depending on size of fish] until cooked through.
  7. Remove, garnish with chilli and spring onions.  Serve immediately.

Cookbook Countdown

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this looks good! I would prefer more of the mei cai mixture to go with rice. Thumbs up!

kitchen flavours said...

A delicious dish! I usually eat the mei cai with porridge and have never used it to steam fish before. It looks very tasty!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this mei cai mixture is good especially when you use the sweet mei cai. The salty mei cai gives a different taste and flavour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I love to have mei cai with porridge. I tried a vegetarian version with vegetarian gluten and peanuts. It was good too, very tasty and I enjoyed it very much with vegetarian sambal and rice.

Emily said...

I do miss eating mei cai... hubby stopped having this and others for a long time now! ~Emily

Margaret said...

The mei cai looks a lot like our spinach, or maybe collard greens. I bet the fish DID have a ton of flavor.