Followers

Friday, September 2, 2016

THAI PRAWN OMELETTE

Thai Prawn Omelette aka Khai-jiaw Koong Sub in Thai is a really simple and easy omelette to prepare yet the result is awesome.  Unbelievably tasty and aromatic.  Here I used free range chicken eggs and the colour is lovely as you can see in the pictures below.
This omelette is good with rice and porridge, should be perfect with coconut milk rice [Nasi Lemak]  or any other flavoured rice.
Recipe adapted from a Thai Recipe Book translated into Bahasa Melayu. 
I ran through the whole book and realised that there could be some typo errors especially with the ingredients [the portion of seasoning is too much for the portion of other ingredients]. For example, 100 gm of flat rice noodles has 4 tablespoons each of fish sauce, tamarind juice and palm sugar syrup. Possible that it is a typo error, do correct me if I'm wrong so that I can daringly add in the seasoning next time when I prepare the dishes.
Anyway, the recipe below is alright.  The omelette is light and fluffy with nice crispy edges.  You can fry them into small omelette or just 1 big piece, it is okay.
Tips - the prawns can be substituted with minced meat and other herbs like basil leaves, kaffir lime leaves and red chillies.
Recipe adapted from Healthy and Easy Thai Cooking [my this month's selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event #9]
Ingredients
3 large eggs
50 gm prawns - coarsely chopped or keep whole
2 tsp fish sauce
some chopped spring onions or coriander leaves
enough oil for frying
  1. Break eggs into a bowl, add in prawns and fish sauce.  Beat with a fork to mix.
  2. Heat up a non-stick pan with some oil, for in the egg mixture to make an omelette or frying in batches according to preference. 
  3. Cover to cook until the edges are firm, flip over to cook the other side until golden brown and edges are crispy.
  4. Dish up to serve immediately.
Cookbook Countdown
I'm  sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown #9

5 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, love that color of the omelettes! It is daunting dealing with translated works, but you being a seasoned cook would know what is right and not!

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, comes this situation, I do wonder whether it is right or wrong, hehehe!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I agree with you, 4 tbsp of fish sauce is a little too much! A good cook like you, would notice things like this! The omelette looks delicious, and would be very well received in my house, I'm sure!

TeaLady said...

I just had eggs for breakfast. I would have made this if I had seen it earlier. Shrimp/Prawns in an omelette. Great idea.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, first look at the recipe wouldn't attract many cos' it looks very simple. Will be be good? I tried cos' I just love simple, good dishes with minimal ingredients. Happy that it is good and a hit with my family members.