Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

CNY 2016 - NESTUM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Chinese New Year is coming soon and this is the first cookie recipe which I tried. 
Recently, I was given 2 packets of Nestum cereals at a gathering.  Not knowing what to do with it, I started looking for some ideas at Nestum Cereal website and found this cookie recipe.   Looks alright to give it a try since I have all the ingredients in hand.  
It is supposed to be jumbo size cookies but I'm not making them Jumbo cos' these are for CNY giveaways. It has to be more 'dainty'.
I doubled the portion and did some modifications to the quantity of some ingredients  [walnuts etc.] cos' I didn't intend to buy more of them for this recipe. Please check out the original recipe here. Anyway, these cookies turned out good.
They are light, aromatic, crispy and not too sweet.  Not difficult to make.
Ingredients
[makes 132 pieces]
300 gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
120 gm Nestum All Family Cereal
100 gm chocolate chips
100 gm walnuts - roughly chopped *
300 gm butter - soften at room temperature
250 gm light brown sugar
2 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Sift flour and baking powder together. Stir in salt and Nestum All Family Cereal, then add in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
  2. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy [about 5 minutes].
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla, continue beating until well incorporated.
  4. Fold in the flour/Nestum/chocolate chip/nut mixture using the lowest speed to mix well.
  5. To form cookies, place about 1/2 tablespoon of mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.  Flatten gently with a spoon [so cookies are about 0.5 cm thick] if preferred.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven 180 degrees C for 15 minutes. Bake until cookies are crispy and golden brown.
  7. Cool baked cookies on a wire rack and store in airtight container.
 *Alternatively, use roughly chopped roasted salted peanuts or cashew nuts instead of walnuts.

This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

 

5 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! You must be very busy baking cookies! I haven't started anything hah..hah... This Nestum Chocolate Chip Cookies must be very good. I love Nestum in cookies, very fragrant and tasty.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes I have started baking cookies cos' there are a few families's cookies that I have to supply and almost done with it. Maybe another 2 types and that is it. This year I tried a few new cookie recipes that I have bookmarked sometime ago. But not too satisfied with the results, maybe my expectation is a bit too high. I won't be sharing them here eventhough my friends who tasted them say they are okay.

Holy Food said...

looks so delicious!!
Must try recipe!!
Thanks for sharing!

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe. I'm sure that the addition of Nestum must make the cookies extra fragrant.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, yes these cookies have the fragrance of Nestum cereal and crispy, too.