Followers

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Baked Spare Ribs [Nam Yee Flavour]

I loved this kind of dishes.  Can get to enjoy fragrant, aromatic and tasty meat dishes without frying especially deep fry.  Just leave the cooking to the oven.   Everything can be prepared way ahead of meal time.   
The pork ribs were prepared during the week day and left in the freezer. Frankly speaking, I don't like going to the butchers during weekends cos' they are usually very busy and at times I can't get the meat cut to my requirements [I'm quite particular about this as it does affect the outcome of the dish].  
Visit this site for Its' Nutritional Facts [here]
Verdict -  tender, tasty, fragrant baked spare ribs not too charred in 30 minutes.  Really nice.
We had this for weekend dinner with some boiled potatoes [see recipe here] and a fruity mango salad [see recipe here].
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 89
If you are a regular visitor to my blog, you would notice quite a number of my recipes come from the magazine.  Only the simple, easy and workable recipes that I have tried are shared here.  By the way, my sister in-law has a good collection of these magazines.  I asked her whether she tried the recipes, she said she just love to browse through them.   I'm the one who browse and act on them.  Thanks to her for buying them and I get to enjoy too, hehehe!  No, I share the food with my dear nephews [her children].
Ingredients
[serves 5]
500 gm meaty spare ribs - washed and drained
Marinade - Mixed Together
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp baking soda [less if you are marinating it for longer time]
1/4 tsp pepper
1 piece Shanghai Red preserved beancurd - mashed
2 tsp red taucheo liquid
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1/2 tsp sesame seed oil
  1. Mix spare ribs with marinade and leave to marinate for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
  2. Preheat oven at 220 degrees C, drain the marinade from the spare ribs and arrange on a greased aluminium foil.  Put in oven to bake for 15 minutes.
  3. Glaze spare ribs with the remaining marinade.  Lower temperature to 190 degrees C and continue to bake for another 15 minutes till meat is cooked. The pork ribs are tender, cooked and brown with this cooking time.
  4. Remove from oven, serve hot with rice, noodles or buns.

I'm linking this post to Cook Your Books Event #12 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
Cook-Your-Books

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, these pork ribs look delicious! I can't believe that they can get tender within 30 minutse because from my own experience pork ribs take longer. So I must try it and see for myself. Thanks for sharing these recipes which means I don't have to buy Yum Yum magazine hee...hee....

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, me too doesn't believe it. I think it is the baking soda that does the trick and I marinated the ribs for 2 days [kept it in the freezer then thaw before roasting].

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
These pork ribs looks really good. And I can see the mango salad is perfect with this dish. I use the same nam yee like yours too.
Thanks for linking!

Lite Home Bake said...

I am drooling looking at these! Thank you for sharing simple recipes!

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, really I didn't expect it to be so good. Now I'm thinking of it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this nam yee is very fragrant and 1 little piece is enough to flavour up these pork ribs. Good.